You wouldn't buy a car without driving it, so why would you buy a canoe or kayak without paddling it first? Rutabaga is located on the water and we offer test paddling every day during the season. Test paddling ensures you have the right boat! To make it safe and easy, here are a few simple guidelines.
- Please be aware that Test Paddle closes one hour before store closing.
- Appointments are not necessary, but a phone call ahead of time helps us have the right equipment so we don't waste your time.
- We like water, we like electricity, but we don't like water and electricity together. We stop test paddling during bad weather.
- We love it when kids test out their new gear. Paddlers under 18 need a parent here.
- You might test the stability of the boat to its capsize point. In other words, you may take a swim. A spare change of clothes is a good idea.
- All test paddlers must wear a properly fitted PFD (lifejacket) both on the pier and on the water.
- Footwear is required at all times in and out of boats.
- Cell phones, wallets, prescription glasses and anything of value is best left in your vehicle. Smart phones get real stupid when they get wet.
At Rutabaga Paddlesports we have been selling kayaks and canoes online for over a decade. We are also a top SUP dealer. Rutabaga Paddlesports supplies paddlers with clothing and accessories that fit their budget, style, and meet their demands. We strive to offer a broad range of American made and sustainable paddle gear to our customers.