View Rutabaga's boat assortment on the Boats
section of our website to find the best boat for your needs. While we are unable to sell boats direct from our website, you can purchase a boat over the phone or at our store in Madison, WI. Our super knowledgeable and friendly staff are here to help you narrow down your choices to find the perfect fit. Our motto is... We don't sell boats, we sell time on the water. :)
-Where will you be paddling most often?
Small lakes and rivers, bigger lakes and rivers, whitewater, the ocean? Buy the boat that fits where you will paddle MOST often.
-What type of paddling will you be doing?
Day paddles, weekend trips, or multi-day backcountry adventures? The longer you are out, the more gear you'll bring, the higher the weight capacity you'll want.
-How many people will you be paddling with?
Will you want to sometimes paddle tandem, sometimes alone? Will you be bringing along any kids or pets?
-How light does the boat need to be?
Who is carrying the boat? 2 people, 1 person? Is the boat going to be loaded on top of a car to get to the water? Are there going to be long portages with the boat?
-How are you going to transport the boat?
Does your car or truck have a roof rack? Do you own a trailer? Consider a car rack or trailer solution before you buy the boat.
1) Call 608-223-9300 to inquire about what is in stock, what might work best for your paddling goals, and to purchase a boat.
2) Pay for the boat in full. You also have the option to put at least half down (on in-stock models), and then pay for the remaining balance when you pick up the boat. Special ordered boats must be paid for in full at the time the order is placed.
3) Schedule a time to pick up the boat.
4) If you'll need a rack installed on your vehicle to get your boat home, be sure to schedule a rack installation appointment for the same day. Note that getting a roof rack often requires considerable lead time to choose your equipment, order any parts if necessary, and install the rack on your car or truck. Please consider this before making the appointment to pick up your boat.
5) Come to the store on the day of your appointment and we'll have your boat ready to load onto your vehicle!
-If your boat needs to be special ordered, we'll let you know approximately when your boat will arrive after we place the order with the manufacturer. Then once your boat arrives, we'll give you a call to set up a time for you to pick it up.
-Special ordered boats that are not shipped to Rutabaga with one of our stock orders may require a shipping charge, in addition to the cost of the boat, to cover the freight cost.
-If you are unable to come to the store to pick up your boat, read about your Shipping
We look forward to helping you get out on the water!