2021 Safety Update: All participants must agree to abide by COVID-19 vaccination, masking and distancing requirements, for the health and wellness of all those involved.
Rutabaga's goal is to make the 2021 Door County Sea Kayak Symposium exciting and engaging while keeping everyone involved as safe as possible. Please note that we will update our protocol if public health recommendations and infection rates change. We greatly appreciate your flexibility and willingness to join the event!
- Full vaccination is required for all staff, instructors, and participants. Full vaccination means that the final dose in a vaccination series was received at least 14 days prior to the start of the event.
- Due to the above vaccine requirement, as well as limits on staff housing, we are not offering programs for youth this year.
- Event registration is capped at 75% capacity.
- Masks are required when in close proximity to others and when not actively eating or drinking.
- Participants and instructors are encouraged to bring their own chairs/blankets for mealtimes/campfire/etc.
- Communal meals will be set up for distanced eating.
- An extra hand-washing station has been rented.
- The Stuga (Customer Service location) will have a limited capacity to avoid crowding indoors.
- A larger tent has been rented for dining, and tables will be set up at a safe distance.
- An additional tent will be rented for serving food so there will be more room under the Big Tent for dining in case of rain.
- Folks are encouraged to spread out on the lawn to eat if nice weather.
- Buffet food will be served to participants by Rutabaga staff/instructors wearing masks & gloves.
- All rooms at Rowleys Bay now have small refrigerators so Resort guests can store food in their room for breakfast and lunch.
- Rowleys Bay Resort Restaurant will be closed to participants and general Resort guests. The restaurant will be able to accommodate staff and instructors for breakfast.
- Beer will most likely be served in cans rather than having a wagon, to avoid using taps and to keep the line short. We are still confirming details with Rowleys Bay.
- We have made some changes to the usual tour destinations based on parking availability and driving distance to accommodate current COVID restrictions.
- More on-site tours and classes have been added each day.
- Cancellations and modifications are par for the course this year. Bear with us during a fluid situation.
Read about Rowleys Bay Resort's COVID Protocol
We recognize that not everyone will be able to fulfill the criteria we have implemented and hope that we can return to normal next year so we can be more inclusive!