An individualized lesson is a great way to begin your paddling journey or add to your existing skill set! Rutabaga can offer brush-up lessons, help you refine a skill, or start at the beginning. We'll make it work for you!
Please note that scheduling a private lesson takes at least one week. Most of the instructors who work with Rutabaga are independent contractors, so it's a matter of finding a time that works for both them and for you. Thank you for your patience!
Lesson availability after October 24, 2021, will depend on weather and water temperatures, and may require students to wear technical paddle clothing.
By requesting a lesson with Rutabaga, you agree to the following safety measures:
1) Both instructor and student(s) will wear a mask while on land.
2) Both instructor and student(s) will maintain a 6 ft distance from each other on land and on water.
3) Both instructor and student(s) will get in and out of their boat without assistance to maintain distance, unless you have arranged in advance to have rescues and/or rolling be part of your lesson.
4) If the student has their own boat, life jacket and/or paddle, they will bring it.
5) If the student is feeling any symptoms related to COVID-19 on the day of the lesson, they will let Rutabaga know and the lesson will be rescheduled.
A 2-hour minimum lesson is recommended for most students and lesson types. If you wish to learn more specialized skills, we may recommend a longer lesson. In rare instances, a 1-hour lesson may be appropriate.
1 Person - $60/hour
2-5 People - $50/hour (per person)
Youth Rates (under age 16)
1 Person - $40/hour
2-5 People - $30/hour (per person)
For family private lessons, the adult and youth hourly rates are combined according to the group.
The private lesson fee includes use of Rutabaga's boats, paddles, and lifejackets. If you have your own equipment, please bring it so that you can gain confidence in the same gear that you'll be using long-term.
Rutabaga offers lessons 7 days a week, based on instructor availability. A lead time of at least a week is necessary in order to schedule an instructor and get all of the confirmation info to you.
Request a private lesson online:
Request Private Lesson
Or, email email@example.com
to set up a lesson with the following info:
-Your name and phone number
-Number of participants
-What type of paddling lesson you are looking for
-Your prior paddling experience
-If you have your own boat or gear
-If you agree to our COVID-19 safety protocol listed above
-Your availability, with at least a week's lead time
Each person attending Rutabaga classes must read and sign the Waiver of Liability form and the Student Health Info form. Please download each form for each participant and bring the signed documents with you when you come to class. Thanks!
Student Equipment List
Student Health Info
Waiver of Liability