At this time we are offering private lessons for individuals, or people from the same household unit, if you agree to the following protocol for safety measures:
1) Are you willing and able to wear a mask while on land? We are not requesting people to wear masks on the water at this time.
2) Are you willing to maintain a 6 ft distance from the instructor on land and on water?
3) Are you ok getting in and out of your boat without the assistance of an instructor? We can demo ways to do it, but to maintain distance we are having folks get in and out on their own without assistance.
4) Would you be ok swimming to shore if you should tip? We are trying to avoid doing rescues at this time to maintain distance. And if you would be in serious trouble, we would of course help you out.
5) If you have your own boat, life jacket and/or paddle please plan to bring it.
6) We are NOT currently offering lessons on assisted rescues or wet-exits to maintain social distance protocols.
If you agree to the items above and a private lesson is of interest to you please contact us.
Private lessons are a great way to begin your paddling journey or to add to your existing skill set. Have a tight schedule? Not a problem. Want a bit more personal attention? No sweat. Need time for you and your paddling partner to work on some specific skills? We can do brush-up lessons, help you refine a skill, or start at the beginning. We'll make it work for you; it's your time.
1 Person - $60/hour
2-3 People - $50/hour (per person)
Youth Rates (under age 16):
1 Person - $40/hour
2-3 People - $30/hour (per person)
For family private lessons we combine the adult hourly rates with youth rates according to the group.
Set up your own time for personal paddling instruction by contacting us. It's best to give us at least a week of lead time so we are able to schedule an instructor and get all of the confirmation info to you. We typically recommend a minimum of 2-hours for a private lesson. (1 hour feels much to rushed for most people.)
For Adult private lessons contact Amelia at email@example.com or 608-310-3852.
For Youth and Family private lessons contact Amelia at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-310-3852.
Do you know how...
We can help you develop your skills so you're prepared for tripping in the Boundary Waters, exploring the Apostle Island or paddling a local river. Do you need assistance with any of these skills?
-Braces and recovery strokes
-Edging for effective turns
-Combining strokes for efficiency
-Rescues and towing
-And much more!
Kayakers - we can also help you with:
-Open water kayaking on Lake Michigan
Each person attending Rutabaga classes must read and sign the Waiver of Liability form and the Student Health Info form. Please download each form for each participant and bring the signed documents with you when you come to class. Thanks!
Student Equipment List
Student Health Info
Waiver of Liability